Steering Committee Charge
- Advising the Dean of Humanities on the overall direction of the grant;
- Discussing the intellectual objectives concerning the future of the humanities at Duke and elsewhere;
- Recommending curricular and programmatic strategies;
- Assisting with all program selections and visiting fellow selections;
- Integrating new initiatives with ongoing collaborative, interdisciplinary, and international research as well as the educational agenda at Duke;
- Anticipating emerging intellectual trends while ensuring adequate support for existing projects;
- Recommending modifications to the strategies of implementation as we learn about our effectiveness over time; and
- Serving as ambassadors for Humanities Writ Large within and beyond Duke.
- 6 – 8 faculty members from the Humanities or Interpretive Social Sciences
- 1 graduate student from the Humanities or Interpretive Social Sciences
- 1 under graduate student from the Humanities or Interpretive Social Sciences
Members can be nominated by department chairs, divisional deans, or deans, or can self-nominate, and are appointed by the Dean of Humanities with the approval of the Provost.
Terms will be one year, with possibility of reappointment
Ex Officio Membership
- Dean of the Humanities, Chair
- Dean of Academic Affairs, Trinity College
- Director, Franklin Humanities Institute
- Other administrators as appointed by the Chair
The agenda is to be set by the Committee Chair in consultation with the membership
The Committee will meet every 2 – 3 weeks during Fall and Spring semesters. Additional meetings may be called by the Chair as needed.
The Chair can establish subcommittees that will make recommendations to the Committee of the Whole.